Thursday, August 17, 2006

Movie Review: Phat Girlz

Synopsis:
Superstar comedienne Mo'Nique is "hilarious" (San Francisco Chronicle) as a sassy, plus-sized fashion designer who's tired of taking no for an answer in this "delightful" (Boston Globe) comedy about living life to the fullest. Jazmin Biltmore (Mo'Nique) has big plans for large ladies-she's designed a sexy line of clothes for curvaceous women like herself. But when she can't get funding for her designs or meet a man who appreciates her unique physique, Jazmin's patience starts running thin. That is, until she wins an all-expense-paid-trip to a resort in Palm Springs, where she might meet the man of her dreams. (Rated PG-13 for sexual content and language, including some crude sexual references

Mo'Nique was amazing, she's funny, and knows how to work it. This movie really did make me think about American society as we know it. Everytime you open up a magazine, go to the mall, see a fashion commercial...what do you see? You see what society has labled "the perfect size people". I started to think about all the young girls who struggle with their appearance, and are often teased for not being the "perfect size".

Honestly, I didn't really think I would enjoy this movie as much as I did. BUT since I'm being honest, I LOVED IT!

No comments: