Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Ok serious thoughts about last nights show

I want to make myself perfectly clear; although I thought the Andersmackdown was totally hott, I must say that Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez makes some extremely valid points, and I did enjoy what she had to say. Check out Alisa's Blog

With all the talk about Mexicans this, and Mexicans that, and some extremely rude comments about them, has me thinking. I myself am Hispanic, with ancesteral roots from Mexico. It just makes me think about how my life could be so very drastically different. All of my grandparents are desceased, and I really have no way of clarifying any questions about legality beyond them. (yes, I know there ARE ways, but I'm in college, really dont have the time to do all that now do I?)

Why is it that most of the focus is on Mexico? Why are people continually saying that Mexicans are the problem? I think we all need to take a step back, take a deep breath, and distinguish the termonlogy we are going to use in this debate. I believe this debate is very relevant, and to put this debate back in the shadows would be a huge mistake.

So you may be asking yourself "Rita, what is YOUR stand on the issue?" Honestly, I can't really say. I can understand why the people are wanting to come to the US, and there are many obstacles hindering them from becoming US citizens. Yet, on the otherhand, if their governments could provide for them, like they should be, they more than likely wouldn't want to cross the border. I see no problem with anyone of foreign nationality wanting to live in the US.

So what can be done to fix this problem? I dont have the answer, and I personally don't know anyone with that answer. I guess it's just another hurdle we must get over, and one day read about in a history book.

Well, I wish I could catch 360 tonight, but I have to work. I'll more than likely stay up and watch the replay, just to get my Anderfix (hahahaha, I couldn't resist) Oh yes, I'd really like to hear more about what YOU think on this issue, if you care to share :)

No comments: