Sunday, June 29, 2008

Picture of the Week 6/29/2008

Hey folks, hope your weekend got off to a good start. As for me, mine has turned out to be quite a sad one. I just learned today that my priest passed away. He served at our parish all through my childhood and gave me my first communion. He was the kindest, sweetest, gentlest man you'd ever want to meet. When you think of what a priest should be, that was what he was like. He was the kind of priest who made it seem like anything could be forgiven. If you told him you had killed your mother, he probably would have said, "don't do it again!"

He had retired quite a while ago, but I would run into him from time to time. The first time was at the local Ladbrokes. I went there once a year to bet on the Kentucky Derby. When he saw me he got this shocked and appalled look on his face and said, "what are you doing here?" Without missing I beat I shot right back, "what are you doing here?" Realizing that I had a point he let out a little chuckle. He also worked at the local food pantry (aka soup kitchen). Every once in a while I would see him at the grocery store when he would stop to pick up food to take to the food pantry for the poor. Usually it was in the parking lot where I would run into him and he would always stop and greet me with an enthusiastic, "Chrissy, how are you?". He was one of only a few people who called me Chrissy. (They are all gone now too). Then he would give me a big hug.

I guess there won't be anymore hugs for me.

God Bless him! He will always go on in my heart. Hopefully, the tears will not.

From a holy man to an angel, enjoy the picture.

screen cap courtesy of Sahira, merci beaucoup!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chrissy, (thought you might want to hear it one more time) I am sorry for your loss. He sounded like a really fine man.

Chris said...

@anonymous: you're right, it was good to hear it one more time. Thanks!