Monday, March 10, 2008

A Sad Goodbye

Well, the tree is down, the shiny brites packed away, and the pretty little colored lights are gone. *sniff* It's so depressing when the Christmas stuff comes down and you're back to gloomy and dreary. I have to thank Candy Crowley for sharing her little secret that her Christmas decorations were still up. Upon reading her blog and coming across that little tidbit I grinned and said to myself "yayy, I'm not the only one!" I ran downstairs and proudly told Mom that other people still have their stuff up. Of course, Mom's no dummy and she instantly reminded me that Candy had a good reason. Candy Crowley has been traveling around the country covering the primaries. I don't have such an excuse. My excuse is.... uhm......uhm.... well! Ohhhh, I like it, okay?? I procrastinate. I put if off as long as I can because I don't like going on to the "I don't have anything to look forward to" season. For me, Christmas is the best time of year. It's the one thing I have to look forward to. I don't have expensive lunches with Anderson Cooper to plan for like the guy last year or the two women this year. I'm not rich enough and even if I was I can't travel now. So forgive my over extended Christmas holiday.
I bid my season farewell by alternating watching movies and taking the tree down. Last night I watched "Prancer" with Sam Elliot. That man has a great voice, second only to Anderson. I still think he should be given an audition for the voice of AC360. But I digress, the movie is sweet and a tearjerker. Sam plays a gruff, no nonsense Daddy. No hugs and kisses and sweet tender moments. At least not until the end where you get the inevitable teary eyed father holding his little girl. I loved that part; her little head resting on his big strong shoulder and his large hands clutching her back. She cries against his shoulder and being wrapped in his arms she finds love and comfort. Their relationship is clarified and the closeness they find is heartwarming.
No matter how old we are, how much we grow, or how much we mature; we girls all long for that shoulder to lean on and those strong arms to hold us.
For now though, let's hope we at least have our Anderson back on the screen tonight. I hate these three day weekends!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at it this way, now you can plan for what to buy me for my present next year :-) Aren't I smart!! I'd hate to see the color of your Xmas tree - was it all yellow or any green left at all? At least you're not like my family who has a fake tree, and at the end of the season wraps it with bubble wrap, lights - ornaments - garlands and all so it is ready to pull out of the closet for next year! Aren't we progressive (and lazy)!!

Chris said...

You'd be surprised mizzkel, it was still all green. That's part of the reason I keep it up so long, it still looked really good. It was a bit dry, although that type of tree is quite good at holding on to the needles. They only came off if you bumped them or pulled at them.

My aunt used to put her tree away with all the stuff still on it. I sort of overlooked it though since she was in her seventies and didn't really have anyone to help her with everything.

Actually, I still have your present from this year. I spent more time thinking about it and not enough getting it ready to send.

Your family might be lazy, mine is extrememly inefficient and disorganized.