Thursday, January 31, 2008

What a Night!!

Warning to all: I'm in a horrid mood tonight. It hasn't been a pleasant evening by any stretch of the imagination. I went out to do some grocery shopping and stop at the library and I came home the back way. I like the back way much better than using the four lane. There's much less traffic, well, none at all really. The road is lined by trees on both sides which I also like. When I get into town I zig zag along the side streets and from the one intersection I pass by where my mom's cousin lives. There's something to be said for driving along side streets and passing by peoples' homes. The lights can be seen through the windows and it seems kind of cozy and warm somehow. Some people have lots of lights on and it's really bright while others are nearly dark, dimly lit by the reflectin of the television screen. My mom's cousin is of the latter group. Very rarely is there a bright light, just the light of the TV. However, tonight the house was totally dark. For some reason it bothered so I picked up my cell phone and called Mom. I asked her to call and make sure everything was okay, since no one answered when I knocked on the front door.

I got home and Mom said she never got an answer. We tried twice more, letting the phone ring so long that the telephone company automatically disconnected us. That's a long time. We were both fighting off fear. If she had decided to go to bed early, the phone ringing that long would have awakened her. Besides, even at 89 years of age she doesn't go to bed at 8:00 PM!

After the unsuccessful attempts to reach her, I decided to be brave and go back to her house armed with a flashlight and try the back door. Did you ever notice flashlights always seem really bright when you test them, but in the dark of night, not so much? Being the chicken little that I am, my heart was in my throat as I walked around the side of the house to the back. I almost turned around and went back home when I reached the back. I flashed the dim light around the yard, hoping I wouldn't see her lying on the lawn somewhere. Luckily, the lawn was bare. I sucked it up and made myself go to the back door. The screen door was unlocked as was the inside door. I wasn't sure if this was good news or bad. I opened the door and repeatedly called her name, hoping to hear her voice come back at me. At the same time, I was hoping I wouldn't scare the daylights out of her!

The house was dark and quiet. I found the light switch and turned the kitchen light on and then worked my way to the living room and the hallway, turning on lights as I went. I called Mom for moral support and to ask what to do. I know, I know, stupid question. I knew what to do, I just didn't want to do it. Holding my breath I checked the downstairs bedroom, empty. *sigh* Then I checked the other bedroom, also empty. Another sigh of relief. I asked Mom if I should check the basement since the door was slightly ajar, or should I call her son. I had found his cell phone number when I was in the living room and checked her phone table. She had a list of phone numbers by the phone. Thankfully, Mom told me what I wanted to hear. Call her son!

As it turns out, there is a happy ending and a sad one to this evening of suspense. The happy ending is that it wasn't as bad as my worst fear. The sad ending, something was wrong after all. She had gone outside (it was sunny after all) and had fallen in the yard. A neighbor heard her calling for help and called an ambulance. We won't know what is broken if anything or what the prognosis is until tomorrow. But that's better than my worst fear.

I know this was a long winded account for "I had a scare tonight!" However, it helped to unload. Hopefully, Anderson won't have Friday night off and he will be on 360 tomorrow night.

Sweet dreams to all and a happy Friday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chris, I am sorry for your frightful night. Hopefully your aunt will be all right.