Saturday, September 02, 2006

Memories...

So, I went to a high school football game last night(my alma mater) and heard the band, I was so amazed by the piece of the show I saw tonight, and can't wait until the whole show is put together on the field. It made me sad, I missed "big band"; going from a 350 + member band where I was in charge of 40ish flutes to only being in charge of 3 @ my university band...good times good times. Don't get me wrong, I love the band I'm in now, we have some amazing musicians, but I do miss high school band!

So when I got home I reviewed my recordings of 2 of my high school performances, it was nice seeing them again. After watching the shows, I got my UIL Concert contest recordings out and started to listen to them, taking in the great musicianship of the Honors band-what a great group of talented people throughout my 4 years.

With that in mind I've decided to post some of my all time favorite classical pieces for you all to enjoy.

I do have some of my high school bands recordings of some of these songs, I just haven't figured out how to get them on the net yet. I found these recordings on various websites.

I've posted this song before, I've played this numerous times, and it was so amazing to be able to play it in Russia. For any new readers that didn't catch an earlier post about this song here's a little background information about it. "An American Elegy" was composed by Frank Tichelli in honor of those that survived as well as lost their lives during the Columbine school shooting. I'm sure you will enjoy the sweet melodies and emotional tones of this song.

Also by Frank Tichelli, "Vesuvius" is also on my top list of instrumental songs. I played this my senior year of high school. This song is full of great rhythms, and sounds I don't see how anyone wouldn't enjoy it.

I can't seem to find any good recordings of a couple of other songs, so if anyone knows how I can make my recordings available I would appreciate the help :)

I hope you all enjoyed this little off topic post, let me know what you all think about the songs too :)

No comments: