Friday, June 22, 2007

We must remember our past

“The first to perish were the children...From these a new dawn might have risen.”
— Yitzhak Katzenelson, Yiddish poet


Although the "Days of Remeberance" for the Holocaust have passed by a couple of months, I feel the need to post something for this horrific era in our world's history.

Many people still to this day believe that the Holocaust never happened, despite all the images and news that the world has seen throughout the years. I firmly believe that we all need to teach future generations of the horrors of World War II, and stress the teaching of history; we all must know our history in order to keep from repeating our mistakes; we need to know our history so another Adolf Hitler isn't elected into power; we need to know our history in order to prosper in the future.

I can't even think of a word that describes ethnic cleansing, genocide, or any other synonym. I can sit here and say 'oh my, that's horrible' but it doesn't even hit close to how horrific it truly is.

"I have survived and am here with my children and grandchildren. We will never forget and will pass on this memory so that this horror will never be forgotten.” Tribute participant, Scroll of Remembrance inscription

"I am a survivor of Auschwitz and Buchenwald and I am most grateful to this Museum for letting the world know of the darkness that befell the Jews of Europe during World War II. Thank you.” Tribute participant, Scroll of Remembrance inscription

I feel we as human beings, have an obligation to uphold the memory of the many lives taken by the Nazi Regime. I also feel as human beings that we should use this to help prevent future genocides, and to take action to help those in need at this very moment. We can not forget the past in order to make the future better. Areas such as Darfur need our attention, and many other countries also need our help as well, we just haven't heard of it yet.

I feel the need as Americans that we need to uphold a moral standard for the world; whether you agree or not with American intervention in foreign affairs is not the issue at hand, this isn't a political idealogy, it's one of moral character. "With great power, comes great responsibility" I know you've all heard that a time or two, and well folks it's true. WE as a nation have gone through so much to get to where we are today, and it is up to US to maintain what we call America.

PLEASE VISIT THE UNITED STATES HOLOCAUST MEMORIAL MUSEUM BY CLICKING HERE

No comments: